Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Final Horus Heresy 1.0 Game and thoughts about V2.0

 This past weekend a a number of us got together to play some Horus Heresy.  While we had the rules for V2.0 we decided since not everyone had the rules and it had been barely a week since they were released that this would be our last Hurrah for HH 1.0.

This was our second weekend of a campaign which is set during the Great Crusade.  As we play through more weekend campaign events we will progress the storyline.  So far its marines vs Eldar, Mechanicum and various versions of Imperial Guard / Militia.  The game I played was for an Eldar Webway location but I played against Mechanicum.


We played 4000 points and I did not take an optimal list against such a foe as you will soon see.

We played the War of Lies mission.


Iron Warriors Deployment.  Behind the Bastion is a Whirlwind Scorpius.  
The Bastion is just terrain and doesn't count as a Bastion fortification.

The Mechanicum Deployment

Turn 1 my newly assembled and painted Dreadclaw Assault pod deepstruck and out popped a Vet Squad which I had also just finished assembling and painting for this weekend.

The Vets managed to take off a few wounds from the Castellax but otherwise they didn't do much.  The drop pod deviated from in front of the Thanatars over to the in front of the Castellax.

My Rhino on my left flank carrying a marine tactical squad and the rest of my infantry moved forward.

Perturabo drops an orbital strike on the Thanatar's and kills one after the rest of the army also focus fires on them.  In the end I only killed 2 out of the three and I should have focused fire more on the squad until they were all destroyed.

The Dreadclaw and the vets are completely destroyed by the Knight after not accomplishing much.

My tac squad disembarks from the rhino and destroys one Mechanicum tank while my other large tac squad charges and kills the other tank.

The Knight gets way too close for comfort and I knew I wasn't going to win this game at this point.

Mechanicum reserves arrive and destroy my basilisks and then my Land Raider.
The Seeker squad gets out of the land raider.

Perturabo gets killed by the Knight.  When rolling a 6 on the damage done 
by a D weapon, not even a Primarch can survive.

The game is over and the Mechanicum end up winning by a large margin.  I barely killed anything.

A rather disappointing result but I should have known better.  If I had taken a Firestorm Redoubt and lascannon Iron Havocs along with lascannon dreads and the Predators and the Siege Tyrants and a Typhon and vindicators and another Land Raider I would have had much better firepower and probably would have had a good chance at winning.

Well with the last HH V1.0 game out of the way let's talk Horus Heresy V2.0 Age of Darkness.

I got a good deal on the rulebook from a friend of mine at the event who had bought two boxes and didn't need the second rulebook.  I got the summary cards with the rulebook which is always a nice thing to have especially when trying to learn a new ruleset.

Several weeks ago when I started hearing things about 2.0 like reactions, I was getting very worried.  I though they may have broken the game.  Upon further review and now knowing that there are many many changes that I think they may have made a much better game than 1.0.  

The rulebook is very nice and I look forward to sitting own and reading the new summarized fluff.  I have decided to start reading the Black Library books again from the beginning.  I am buying the books new again since old books sometimes mess with my sinuses.  

I want to take a closer look at some of the other things in the book that people aren't talking about, such as the different modes of play mentioned near the back.  I want to look closer at the Psychic powers and try to wrap my head around all of the USR changes since it seems like most things have changed and sometimes by a lot.

Next weekend I should be playing my first game of 2.0 and I will have more thoughts on this then.  


Well, until then.........


2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your insights on 2.0!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of thoughts about it right now but I have yet to play a game. I want to try some things I have been thinking about in the game. This Saturday should be my first game.

      Delete