Initially I was not sure which legion or faction to do. I considered Alpha Legion because i have always found them fascinating and also considered Mechanicum because I have always loved their background. I have decided I will have some Mechanicum forces simply because they and the Iron Warriors go hand-in-hand.
I finally settled on Iron Warriors because I already have a sizable 40k IW force and the possibility of fielding Perturabo, the IW Primarch on the table was just too much of a temptation.
Last summer my fiance also decided she was going to make a Heresy Era Emperor's Children army and another friend of mine who runs the Eye Of Isha blog has begun work on a Night Lords army so this interest along with a few others in my gaming group showing interest, has given me more impetus to get this project going.
Over the past year I have been collecting miniatures to put into my army. My army will mostly consist of non-Forgeworld components. I want to use a mix of current GW plastic with old GW plastic and metal.
I have currently collected the following:
- an old Metal and Plastic Whirlwind
- an old Mk I Land Raider which I will use as a Land Raider Proteus
- an old Mk I Rhino
- a second-Ed metal and plastic Vindicator
- an old Mk I Predator
- A Contemptor Dreadnought from Forgeworld
- 4 Plastic Dreadnoughts
- 30 or 40 various plastic marines from old Rogue Trader-Era Beakies to new Sternguard plastics
- Narik Dreygur, the Consul-Praevian Forgeworld event-only mini
- Archmagos Draykavac of the Mechanicum
- Forgeworld event-only Navigator miniature
- 4 Autocannon-wielding Mk 3 Armour resin Space Marines from Forgeworld
- 3 Plastic 3rd Edition-era Land Speeders
- the 2 red Forgeworld Horus Heresy rule books
My plans for new purchases:
- Buy Perturabo
- I want a second Narik Dreygur so I can convert one of them into a Praetor.
- 4 packs of various Iron Warrior shoulder pads from Forgeworld
- Buy Horus Heresy book 3 from Forgeworld because it has Relics for the Iron Warriors as well as the Mechanicum Taghmata Army list and scenarios.
- Buy Horus Heresy book 5 from Forgeworld because it has Imperial Cults army list. I would like to have a human army possibly to go along with my Iron Warriors and Mechanicum.
- Buy at least one more Mk I Predator so I can field a Squadron
- Buy at least one more Mk I Land Raider or a current plastic Land Raider to rep a 'Phobos' pattern
- Buy a Shadowsword to use as Perturabo's special transport (its part of his special rules)
- Buy a Typhon heavy siege tank
- Buy some different arm options for the Contemptor Dreadnought. ( I bought it used and it came with 2 multi-meltas, which is not really an ideal loadout.)
Coming up in less than a month is Gen Con and Forgeworld will be there. I would like to buy a lot of the items listed above at Gen Con but money is a serious issue this year so I will probably end up just getting Perturabo and some shoulder pads.
I will continue to update this blog with my progress into 30k.
Until next time....